Book on cruising the Inside Passage in a small boat

Post information here about equipment and services that you want to sell, buy or trade. Write a descriptive subject line. Add a photo.

Book on cruising the Inside Passage in a small boat

Postby NewMoon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:27 pm

For 18 years now, Cindy and I have been cruisers in our own small boats, small enough to keep on a trailer. Our first was a C-Dory 22, an intrepid little ship which carried us through 7 summers of explorations. The last 11 years we’ve run a diesel-powered 26-footer. In about 1,000 days on the water, we’ve traveled some 30,000 miles, mostly in the Pacific Northwest, wandering the Inside Passage from Puget Sound up to Glacier Bay in Southeast Alaska.

Over the years we’ve picked up quite a bit of knowledge and experience in what it takes to travel those beautiful but remote and wild waters in a small power boat, and have a fine time doing it. That’s what this book is all about.

If you’ve ever considered traveling the Inside Passage, you might find the book interesting. If small boats are your thing, it’s a primer on how you could do such a major cruise.

A fair portion of the book is devoted to choosing an appropriate small cruiser. There’s also lots of info on equipping it well for an extended Inside Passage cruise, challenges you’ll encounter along the way, key skills you’ll need, and other tips from our experience. Plus a bunch of links to helpful stuff.

You can preview it on the self-publishing site Lulu.com:

http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=5835870

You can also find it by searching on Lulu for the book’s title, “Cruising in a Big Way”, for my name “Richard Cook”, or for keywords like “Coastal Cruising”.

It’s available in paperback, or even as a download. Hope you like it.
Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

Re: Book on cruising the Inside Passage in a small boat

Postby NewMoon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:14 am

For those of you who like to read via Kindle:

You might be interested to know that my book can now be loaded onto and read on the newer Kindles, the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX, provided they have the latest software installed (it just came out a week or so ago).

Amazon is rolling out the software update over the next few weeks to the new Kindles, but if you want it sooner it’s easy to install by downloading from the ManageYourKindle page on Amazon.com.

You can have the book on your Kindle by ordering a download from Lulu.com (for $9.95) rather than a physical book. Copy the PDF file you receive from Lulu into your Kindle’s documents library, and voila – it’s available to read without any conversion, thanks to a version of Adobe Reader that comes with the latest Kindle software. Apparently most (all?) PDF’s can now be read natively.

It displays one page at a time in the Kindle screen, so the type is fairly small, but you can change the page orientation to landscape if you want a larger font. I’ve tried bookmarks and searching, and these functions do work.

I’m not sure when it will be available from the Kindle store as a standard Kindle book.
Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

Return to Trawler Gear Buy-Sell-Trade