Attention Smaller Boat Owners

Interested in cruising in smaller boats? If your boat is trailerable or under, say, 32 feet LOA, here's the place to trade experiences, ask questions or just hang.

Re: Attention Smaller Boat Owners

Postby thataway4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:34 pm

A big thanks to the best originator of boating list servers and of Trawler Fest: Georgs Kolesnikovs, for starting another great series of boating sites!

Many of you already know Bob and Marie, but by way of introduction, we have boated for most of our lives in small boats, and have covered over 200,000 miles at sea, owing boats up to 62 feet; crossing many oceans and exploring many coastlines, including most of North America from Icey Straits to Maine, with 3 Panama Canal passages. We currently own a Tom cat 255, a C Dory 25 and Century 18 foot Center console. In the past we have owned many sailboats, several trawlers, and motor boats: 13, 15, 18 foot runabouts, a Bayliner Cierra 23, a Rienelle 21, a Rinker 270, a Carver 30 (diesel powered), a C Dory 22.

We keep the C Dory 25 in Dana Point, CA and will probably cruise Alaska this summer (and sell the boat at in August). The Tom Cat is on a lift at our home in Pensacola, FL, as is the Century. We are more than happy to answer questions about any of these boats or the cruising areas, of Alaska, PNW, California, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, Europe, or the Intra coastal waterways of the East Coast.

Bob Austin
Bob Austin
Pensacola, FL, Dana Pt. Calif.
Tom Cat 255--twin 150 suzuki
C Dory 25 Single 130 Honda
Century 18 single 115 Yahama
Tow vehicle Ford Excursion 7.3L diesel
thataway4

Postby elnav » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Another small boat in the C-dory 22 size is Ranger boats built near Seattle. A group of 4 Rangers made the trip from Seattle to Alaska and back safely. Definitely in the trailer boat catagory.
Arild Jensen
Custom electrical design for cruising boats
Telephone: 250 998 4474
Site: http://www.electronicnavigator.com
Email: mailto:2elnav@netbistro.com
elnav

Postby Eric H » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 am

Bryan wrote:
Well, do any of you have any recommendations? I've been looking at the Albin 27' for a long time, but it is largely by default because I don't know what else is out there (other than Cape Dory)

How about some of the Sam Devlin Desisgns in a variety of sizes? http://www.devlinboat.com/designcatalog.htm#powerboats
Eric H

Postby Island Rover » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:56 am

Great Small Trailerable Trawler Another vessel you should look at is the Canadian built Rosborough RF-246. She is 24 1/2 ft long with a beam of 8 1/2 ft.and a draft of 18" to 2 ft. There is a v-berth forward with a usable head and hanging locker. There are lockers on each side of the v-berths and storage under then. It is a pilot house model with doors port and stbd ,helm to stbd and mates seat to port. Great for docking or locking through. Aft to stbd is a settee that converts into a slim double or large single. Lots of storage again. Port side has the galley with frig, stove, sink and more storage. Some boats have hot water tanks under the sink run by I/O or electricity. Aft again is a approx. 7x7 ft cockpit (can be roofed and canvas inclosed). Power for the boat can be gas or diesel, I/O, transom mounted outboards, swim platform/outboard motor bracket, or hull extension. HP can range from 60hp single /twins to 250's. She will get up and plane but we run ours as a slow trawler. Very relaxing.
We have trailed ours with no trouble but at 7000 lb. she should have a 250 or 2500 tow vehicle.
Check out Rosborough web site at http://www.rosboroughboats.com/
Check out chat group web sit at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RF-246Owners/
Check out Travels of the slow trawler Island Rover http://web.mac.com/islandrovercanada/iw ... LCOME.html
Check out Yacht World re used boats & photos http://www.yachtworld.com/
Island Rover

Postby Carol » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:28 am

We have owned an Albin 27 for over a year now. We spend most of our time on the St Johns River, FL. Last year we cruised up the St Johns to Jacksonville and down the ICW to Key Biscayne and spent Christmas there. Slow Motion sits on a trailer in the yard. We've added a hardtop, new side vinyl windows and I made screens so it can be completely enclosed when it's too hot for the windows. We don't have heat or AC.

Last year we spent a night at anchor in Silver Glen Springs, just off Lake George, in 28 deg weather. The springs water is 72 year around..so the rising mist froze on the boat. Snowballs in FL. We use a 1000 watt Honda Generator with an extended run tank to run a small electric heater if needed.

We are finding the Albin very comfortable with aft sleeping quarters, large cockpit and galley, head & V berth forward. It doesn't have everything that we'd like to have for extended time aboard...but it does have one thing we really enjoy...trailerability...no marina fees...in the yard and handy to open up or just work on. We climb a 16' ladder a minimum of 2 times a day. ..good exercise. I even use it for backyard bird and wildlife watching. Jim gets nervous whenever I disappear aboard for an hour or two...he knows I am thinking of something else for him to do.

Our friends just bought an Albin 27 and towed it to their home in OK. We are hopeing to spend some time on the Arkansas River with them next year.
Carol

Postby Georgs » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Carol wrote:We have owned an Albin 27 for over a year now. We spend most of our time on the St Johns River, FL. Last year we cruised up the St Johns to Jacksonville and down the ICW to Key Biscayne and spent Christmas there. Slow Motion sits on a trailer in the yard. We've added a hardtop, new side vinyl windows and I made screens so it can be completely enclosed when it's too hot for the windows. We don't have heat or AC.

Welcome aboard TrawlerCrawler.net, Carol!

What are your cruising plans for 2010?

Your Albin is quite a spacious smaller boat. I had a chance to visit aboard Sadie B, the Albin 27 owned and cruised extensively by Dennis and Esther Bruckel for 15 years.

--Georgs
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Your host at TrawlerCrawler.net since 2009
Your host at TrawlersAndTrawlering.com since 1997
Georgs

Postby Tugger Toy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:33 am

Hi,

My name is Eric and I just found the link to this forum today on TugNuts the factory forum for Ranger Tug owners - I felt I had to register after perusing just a few of the great posts here on TrawlerCrawler.

My wife Moria and I just purchased our first power boat in August 2009. Tugger Toy is a 2006 Ranger Tug R-21 Classic and we love her. At 21 feet and only 2600 lbs. she is easily trailered with our '95 Chevy conversion van which now does double duty as it was originally set up to pull our pop-up camper. It has a 20 HP Yanmar diesel and sips fuel at the rate of 2 - 3 quarts/Hr (that's right I said quarts). We have always had an affinity for trawlers and the Ranger Tugs are as cool as it gets as far as I am concerned. We may not be fast but we look good going slow!

I look forward to spending time here at TrawlerCrawler and learning and sharing as much as possible.

Eric
Eric & Moria
West Chester, PA
Vessel: 2006 Ranger Tug R-21 Classic
TV: 1995 Chevy G-20 Conversion Van
Tugger Toy

Postby Georgs » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Glad to you aboard, Eric!

What are your cruising plans for 2010? Whereabouts are you home-ported?

--Georgs

Georgs Kolesnikovs
TomCat 24 At Last!
Puffin Saco 12 Finally!
Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com
Georgs

Postby Tugger Toy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi Georgs,

Thanks for the greeting I was so anxious to post that I had found TrawlerCrawler, I had failed to properly save my profile info. It is done now along with a pic of Tugger Toy.

We live in West Chester, PA which is about 35 miles west of Philadelphia and about 50 miles northwest of North East, Maryland where we put in when we want to boat on the Chesapeake Bay.

My wife and I are still members of the full time employed (still at least 10 years from retirement), so we go boating as our schedules allow. We do, however, have a trip planned already for 2010. I have family who own a condo on the Manatee River in Palmetto, FL. They bought the condo 5 years ago when they still had a boat (they sold it 3 months ago) and they have a slip with a lift right there at the condo. My wife and I are planning on trailering Tugger Toy down for a 2 week stay in March. As we just finished winterizing the boat this weekend we have had to acknowledge the end to our first boating season. However, March is not far away and the countdown to the trip has officially begun.

Eric
Eric & Moria
West Chester, PA
Vessel: 2006 Ranger Tug R-21 Classic
TV: 1995 Chevy G-20 Conversion Van
Tugger Toy

Postby janice142 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:06 pm

mcc272 wrote:\we sold it and acquired a C-Dory 22 as the smallest boat that could cruise like we wanted to do. For each person, there is a "right" small boat that meets their needs but there is so much more that we can do with our C-Dory, in the process of a major rebuild, that we could not do with a larger boat.

While anchored in Saul Creek this cute little boat went by me and up the river. The next day they rafted up and we had a visit -- comparing boats of course! A couple and two of the nicest little boys were aboard the C-Dory having trailered over from Texas as I recall. I was impressed by the amount of galley storage in the C-Dory22 -- very nice. Of course the woman in me wanted shelves in that cavern! Still, yours it is a very nice boat.

Hey, and I was finally (first time ever!) the "big boat" ... mine's 23' and she's been home since spring of 2008. I'm very fortunate too. Currently we are in Carrabelle (I bought a new, er, old diesel) and am here for the swap out. Then onward, south and east until the water is green and the weather is warm.

Here's my girl:

Janice aboard Seaweed
http://janice142.com
janice142

Previous

Return to Smaller the Boat, Bigger the Adventure