Attention Smaller Boat Owners

Interested in cruising in smaller boats? If your boat is trailerable or under, say, 32 feet LOA, here's the place to trade experiences, ask questions or just hang.

Attention Smaller Boat Owners

Postby Georgs » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 am

Welcome to the forum dedicated to smaller boats!

Although I've owned boats up to 60 feet LOA, I've always been a small-boat guy at heart. If you're like me, you'll immediately understand what I mean when I say there's nothing as fine as messing about in a boat where you can do everything yourself, reach every corner of the boat in a flash, spend little money on maintenance and operation (and didn't have to sell the house to buy the boat), and that's the coziest place on the planet when you're on the hook in a great anchorage.

The Admiral and I own a TomCat 24, an outboard-powered pilothouse cruising catamaran, that's the perfect boat for us because it suits our needs and desires to a T. Here's the rationale:

It looks good.
    It's small yet spacious, and relatively inexpensive.
    It's trailerable.
    It won't roll, and provides a stable, smooth ride in cruising conditions.
    It has a nice turn of speed.
    It's unsinkable.
    It has an enclosed head.
    The berth lies athwartships.
    It’s a multihull.
    It looks good.

If you own a smaller boat, or are considering purchasing one, please register, introduce yourself here, and let's talk.

--Georgs

Georgs Kolesnikovs
TomCat 24 At Last!
Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com
Georgs

Re: Attention Smaller Boat Owners

Postby SeaKnight » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Sounds like Dennis and Esther B. influence!
Tom and Gerry Clare
www.TomClare.com
SeaKnight

Postby Georgs » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:19 pm

claret wrote:Sounds like Dennis and Esther B. influence!

Sure does!

I'm not certain whether the Bruckels were the the first to use the phase "The smaller the boat, the larger the adventure," but they have lived it to the max. Their travels with Sadie B, an Albin 27, and other adventures are documented on their attractive site. Hopefully, they will join the Smaller Boat forum in due course.

--Georgs
Georgs

Postby mcc272 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:37 pm

One goes through life looking for bigger and bigger boats until one comes to one's senses. We got as large as a Nordic Tug 37 which was a wonderful boat. However, we did not own it, it owned us. Economic circumstances changed, we sold it and acquired a C-Dory 22 as the smallest boat that could cruise like we wanted to do. For each person, there is a "right" small boat that meets their needs but there is so much more that we can do with our C-Dory, in the process of a major rebuild, that we could not do with a larger boat. The rebuild which I am doing is one example. Launching on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake in 6 hours and $100 of truck fuel compared to 3 days and $1,200 of boat fuel and, in the fall, being very nervous about weather on the long haul up or down the Jersey coast is another example. Even in our home waters, as an experiment, I figured all of our anchorages within a 15nm radius with a 4 foot draft and a 2 foot draft. A two foot draft opens up a world of possibilities for exploration and on a longer distance basis, will allow us to do things that would only have been possible upon retirement, assuming our funds held up.

All in all, it took me a very long time to learn that smaller is better and that the smallest boat that can do what you want a boat to do will yield the greatest amount of fun. I am certainly going to enjoy this forum as it developes.
Jim
C-Star, 2004 C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Cruising from Connecticut
mcc272

Postby bryan3536 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 am

Well, do any of you have any recommendations? I've been looking at the Albin 27' for a long time, but it is largely by default because I don't know what else is out there (other than Cape Dory). Who's (small) cruising what?
bryan3536

Postby NewMoon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:30 pm

My wife Cindy and I have been cruising since 1991, primarily on the Pacific NW coast and for shorter periods on big lakes like Lake Powell. First 7 years in a outboard C-Dory 22, and the next 11in a Bounty 257, a 26-foot planing hull with Volvo 44 diesel and sterndrive. So far we've traveled about 30,000 miles, in about 1,000 days on the water. Seven whole summers in the PNW, ranging from Puget Sound as far north as Skagway and Glacier Bay. Also many other trips lasting 2 to 6 weeks. We anchor in fairly to very remote coves the majority of the time.

Since we live in Utah, a trailer boat is what works for us. If we were starting over, we'd probably consider the North Pacific 28, or something along those lines. We've come to appreciate traveling slower (and quieter), thoroughly enjoying the beauty all around us. Spending most of our time at 6.5 knots, our diesel boat generally gives us 3.5 to 4 nmpg. Our little boats don't have grand lounging areas, but they have made cruising (and fishing) affordable for us, and a whole lot of fun.
Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

Postby captainbobc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 pm

I have been boating most of my life in small and large boats. My dad built a couple of boats in the 50's...so I learned how to sand at an early age. I enjoy boat projects and restoring them almost as much as cruising. I have owned around 18 boats ranging from small to 56'. My 6 children emjoyed times on the back of a boat and therefore share the interest.
I now own a 1993 custom built trailer trawler...or tug type boat that is a Glen-L Marine plan called Hercules. I bought the boat from the builder a couple of years ago and have made some additions and restoration to the boat. It is a composite using plywood and epoxy. It is very seaworthy and economical to operate at 1/2 gallon of diesel per hour @ 7kts. It has a Perkins M30, 3 cylinder engine.
The trailer was in need of complete restoration and I have since aquired a new to me hauler/truck. I am in the process of making it dependable and comfortable to travel with the boat. It is a retired ambulance, 1989 Ford E350, dually with a 7.3 International diesel. The engine has less than 1000 miles and the trans factory rebuilt. It is a cutaway..or cab and chassis now. I am building the bed and making improvements to the interior etc. I did a test pull with my new hitch and I think it will make a fine tow.
Looking forward to this forum and enjoy reading and talking about others boats and rigs.
Bob Clinkenbeard
Custom Trailer Trawler
"Bobbin Along"
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=325164&ck=
captainbobc

Postby Cosmic C » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:22 am

My wife and I completed the Great Loop last year in our 25-ft 2003 C Dory Cosmic C. Together with our other cruises in the Northeast and the daily use around our island in the St. Lawrence River, we have now completed about 10,000 miles. Our small boat is ideal for us. It is comfortable and very seaworthy, has all the amenities we need, is economical and easy to maintain, and with our <18-inch draft we can get into all sorts of places that bigger boats cannot (and it looks good too). The only other boat I am a little jealous of is the Tomcat 255 (essentially a cat version of our boat, similar to Georgs' boat but better looking), but that wasn't available when we bought the Cosmic C. I certainly subscribe to the adage "own the smallest boat you are comfortable in", and we sure are comfortable in ours!
Patrick Fowles
25' C Dory Cosmic C
www.the-fowles.com
Cosmic C

Postby bryan3536 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Good looking boat. Anyone know when they started making those? My budget is, ahem, limited, so I'd be looking for an older model. FYI, there are very few available on yachtworld.com.
bryan3536

Postby NewMoon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 pm

We loved our C-Dory 22 cruiser. In 1994, I think, we visited the factory to look at the new 25 cruisers. If you'd like to know more about them, and see C-Dory for-sale postings, go to this bulletin board: http://www.c-brats.com/
Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

Next

Return to Smaller the Boat, Bigger the Adventure