Batteries, chargers etc.

When it comes to electrical systems aboard boats, Arild Jensen knows his stuff. Here's where to ask the simplest or most complex questions about marine electrics.

Batteries, chargers etc.

Postby Carolina » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:38 pm

I have 2 ea 8d agm batteries and want to change to 6ea golf cart batteries. I have a 60amp charger. Any down side to this change and will I have to change the charger?
Carolina

Re: Batteries, chargers etc.

Postby elnav » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:53 pm

The biggest effect you will notice is the much longer charge time assuming you discharge to the same voltage level. If your existing charger is a 3 stage smart charger you can supplement the bulk charge rate by using another charger in parallel. Identical models is great in theory but in this case with Six golf cart batteries you can use as much as 200 amps in bulk charge mode. If money permits I would look for a decent power factor corrected 100 amp charger and install that in parallel with the existing charger giving you 160 amps maximum capacity.
The faster charge time will be especially noticable when charging from the genset.
As a rule of thumb you should have a charge capacity that is at least 10% of your storage capacity. So if you end up with 600 amp hours storage capacity the you must have at least 60 amp charger.
Arild Jensen
Custom electrical design for cruising boats
Telephone: 250 998 4474
Site: http://www.electronicnavigator.com
Email: mailto:2elnav@netbistro.com
elnav

Return to Electrical Systems