Split 12V useage from 24V bank?

When it comes to electrical systems aboard boats, Arild Jensen knows his stuff. Here's where to ask the simplest or most complex questions about marine electrics.

Split 12V useage from 24V bank?

Postby trawlerguy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Arlid, I know this has sort of been broached in the past but not quite like this.

I have one 12V bank in the pilothouse, consisting of two gell cells for instruments etc., and a large 24VDC house bank. I'd like to do away with the 12V bank if there's a way to "electrically" split the 24V bank and make equal usage of both ends of it.

Can it happen???
Thanks, Jon
"The winner of a Rat Race is always a Rat, the only thing I can think to do about that--is to haul up the anchor." - Ken Gill – “It’s Blowin’ Up A Hooly”
MV "MARIAH" Gwynn's Island,62

trawlerguy

Re: Split 12V useage from 24V bank?

Postby elnav » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:02 pm

Not a recommended practice, not to mention which, it runs counter to ABYC recommendations.
Depending on what your actual 12V load is, it may be practical to drive the 12V equipment using DC-DC converters or the Vanner Equalizer device that sort of 'splits' the 24V bank. Directly wiring to one half of the battery bank will only result in charging problems leading to premature battery failure.
Arild Jensen
Custom electrical design for cruising boats
Telephone: 250 998 4474
Site: http://www.electronicnavigator.com
Email: mailto:2elnav@netbistro.com
elnav

Re: Split 12V useage from 24V bank?

Postby trawlerguy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks for the reply Arlid.
I'll check out the "Vanner Equalizer", It sound like exactly what I'm wanting to do.
Most things I will be able to connect directly to the 24V bank. Like the inverters, the heads, the water pump and most all high amp loads. However, there are a lot of small loads and, for instance, phone chargers and such, that are just set up to use the "common" 12V" source and I'd like to just use the LARGE 24V bank instead of having another bank for just 12V.

I'll do some research and see what it's about.
thanks, John
"The winner of a Rat Race is always a Rat, the only thing I can think to do about that--is to haul up the anchor." - Ken Gill – “It’s Blowin’ Up A Hooly”
MV "MARIAH" Gwynn's Island,62

trawlerguy

Return to Electrical Systems