Adding New Batteries & Inverter

When it comes to electrical systems aboard boats, Arild Jensen knows his stuff. Here's where to ask the simplest or most complex questions about marine electrics.

Adding New Batteries & Inverter

Postby shay » Sat May 07, 2011 1:24 pm

I am getting ready to install a new battery bank and Inverter. I am looking for a source for 2, 3 & 4/0 lugs and cable. I have looked at the Anchor Lugs at West Marine and they look a little light weight. The barrel that the cable goes into seems a too short.

I am using 6 Full River DC 400-6 (6 volt 415 AH) batteries. They will be arranged in three (series pairs). Each pair is 12v at 415 AH for a total of 1245 AH. I will be putting a fuse in the positive cable before the Inverter but question whether or not I should put a fuse in each of the three series pairs. I know I have read that each battery or group of series batteries should have a fuse in case one battery shorted to keep the other batteries from feeding back through the shorted battery. I think It is a good Idea for safety but the extra connections are a another source for problems. What is the opinion of the group on fusing each battery or series string of batteries?

Shay Glass
shay

Return to Electrical Systems