Got a question about repairing or renovating your trawler?

Want to know how to fix or improve something aboard your trawler? Ask Chuck Baier who, in two decades of living aboard and cruising, has repaired and renovated just about everything.

Got a question about repairing or renovating your trawler?

Postby Georgs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:16 am

All hands--

I'm delighted to introduce you to Chuck Baier who has agreed to answer questions about repairs and renovations.

Chuck, with the help of his photographer wife, Susan, is ideally suited to dispense real-world advice after spending 17 years living aboard and cruising Sea Trek, a Mariner 40 ketch, and now living aboard and cruising Beach House, a Marine Trader 34 that they acquired in October, 2008. With the sailboat, they explored Central America and the Caribbean as well as the U.S. coast from Texas to the Chesapeake. On the trawler, they're currently based in the Chesapeake for the next year or so, before they depart on the Great Loop or other inland or coastal adventures. Their hailing port is Sarasota, Florida, but their home port is wherever the boat is.

Chuck and Susan replenish their cruising kitty by offering their services for vessel deliveries, instructions or special events. Chuck is a USCG-licensed Captain and they both have decades of experience on sail and power vessels of all sizes and configurations. In addition, Chuck is a certified marine electronics tech with more than 35 years of experience with marine electrical and electronics systems.

What truly qualifies Chuck to be the go-to man for your questions is the comprehensive range of repair and renovation projects he has undertaken over the past two decades as a boat owner--and explained and pictured in posts to two blogs:

The Trawler Beach House and the earlier Voyages of Sea Trek.

The contents of the blogs read like a what's what of just about anything you'd care to tackle on your trawler. Here's a sampling:

Batteries and Battery Chargers For The Boat
Our Anchoring Platform Refurbishing
Sliding Door Repair For Exterior Door
Installing An Electric Windlass
Refinishing The Hatches
A Hatch From Scratch
A Little TLC For Our Ford Lehman Diesel
Anchor Wash Down System
Mystical Water Heater and Engine Hoses
Replacing The Fresh Water Circulating Pump On Our Ford Lehman 120
Servicing The Cooling System On Our Ford Lehman Diesel
Steering Issues And Preparing For A Cruise
Transforming The Non Skid Decks

So . . . with introductions out of the way, it's time to get started with questions for Chuck.

Go back to the preceding page, click on NEW TOPIC and fire away.

--Georgs
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Your host at TrawlerCrawler.net since 2009
Your host at TrawlersAndTrawlering.com since 1997
Georgs

Re: Got a question about repairing or renovating your trawler?

Postby capn chuck » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:05 pm

Many thanks Georgs, I don't claim to be an expert on all things boating but after being on the water for half a century I probably have encountered about every situation a boat owner will find themselves in. I hope I can be helpful to the folks that visit the board. Chuck
Current Navigational Notices
http://www.marinalife.com/navigationUpdates/index.cfm
Cruises and Projects On Board Our Trawler.
http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/
Our Previous Sailing Adventures And A Lot More.
http://sea-trek.blogspot.com/
capn chuck

Postby FlyWright » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:21 am

Chuck,

Welcome to the boards. I look forward to your posts and advice. You've probably forgotten more about trawler repairs than many of us will ever know in a lifetime of trying.

Al
FlyWright
1977 Californian 34 LRC
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he sits in a boat and drinks beer all day!" Anonymous
FlyWright

Postby capn chuck » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am

Thanks Al, actually it seems I forget more and more lately, that is why I need to post it in the blog, so I have a future reference:) Chuck
Current Navigational Notices
http://www.marinalife.com/navigationUpdates/index.cfm
Cruises and Projects On Board Our Trawler.
http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/
Our Previous Sailing Adventures And A Lot More.
http://sea-trek.blogspot.com/
capn chuck

salon table

Postby Andrew-Resolve » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Capn Chuck- we are considering a trawler that needs a replacement salon table. It is a late 80's under 35' yacht with a single pedestal support for a fore and aft leaf table that must be replaced. The pedestal screws to secure the table height have been over torqued collapsing the tube and the hinges and surface are trashed.

I have a full shop of tools and considerable carpentry experience. I would like to find plans for the construction of a traditional port and starboard drop leaf salon table common to cruising sail boats and the grand banks among other trawlers. The storage potential and reduced obstruction when collapsed appeal but I want to ensure that the pretty mahogany can withstand being slammed against so the plans of what have worked are prefered. Can you refer me to a source for salon table plans.

I have admired the quality of your dispatches on the progress of the "Beach House". The photos and prose make each process clear (including restarts) and equally admirable is the clear statement of product preference based on experience.

Thanks in advance Andrew-Resolve
Andrew-Resolve

Re: Got a question about repairing or renovating your trawle

Postby tharmas » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:12 pm

On a 1980 Cheoy Lee trawler I have removed the formica sheet around a window in the aft head, to repair water damage, and now it appears I have to remove the teak window frame to fit in new formica. The inside frame seems to be held by screws under plugs on the outside frame. What can I expect when I remove these screws? Are these frames also ordinarily fastened with glue or a seal? Any trick to getting them back together right?

The water damage was from my having left the window open, not realizing that the plywood inside the walls could get wet and rot. In my idiocy I figured rain on the teak and fiberglass and formica in the head would be OK. It is, but inside the walls it is another story.
tharmas

Return to Repair & Renovate: Ask Chuck