All about ActiveCaptain

How do you get the most out of ActiveCaptain? What are the benefits of ActiveCaptain Mobile? What's ActiveCaptain Explorer? Regretfully, our desire to provide a special forum for ActiveCaptain fans came to nought.

All about ActiveCaptain

Postby Georgs » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 am

All hands--

I'm delighted to unveil this special forum where ActiveCaptain users are able to have their questions answered by none other than Jeffrey Siegel, the active cruiser who, with his wife, Karen, developed what they have billed as the "interactive cruising guidebook."

Karen has the marketing smarts, Jeff is the technology wizard. They both love boating, and dogs. Together, the Siegels have found success as entrepreneurs, first with clinical diagnostic software, then a tiny EKG device that uses a Palm PDA as is viewing platform, and now with ActiveCaptain, ActiveCaptain Mobile, Active Captain Explorer and who knows what else tomorrow?

For the full story on the Siegels and the new dimension to boating they have introduced, go to Trawlers & Trawlering for a wide-ranging Q&A. Click here to visit ActiveCaptain.com.

With the introductions out of the way, let's get started with questions.

Go back to the preceding page, click on NEW TOPIC and fire away.

--Georgs
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Your host at TrawlerCrawler.net since 2009
Your host at TrawlersAndTrawlering.com since 1997
Georgs

Re: All about ActiveCaptain

Postby ActiveCaptain » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks Georgs. I'm happy to answer questions here. I've been a contributor here since it was first started.

I have a simple request. Is there a way I can be email'd when there is a question posted in a new topic? That way I can be much more responsive and get prompted when someone is asking something. Alternatively, do you have a way to enable RSS for this section?
Jeffrey Siegel
M/V aCappella
DeFever 53RPH
W1ACA/WDB4350
Castine, Maine

http://www.activecaptain.com
The Interactive Cruising Guidebook
ActiveCaptain

Postby Georgs » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:33 pm

ActiveCaptain wrote:I have a simple request. Is there a way I can be email'd when there is a question posted in a new topic? That way I can be much more responsive and get prompted when someone is asking something. Alternatively, do you have a way to enable RSS for this section?

I will look into the possibility of an RSS feed, Jeff, but in the meantime, I'll ask a colleague to keep an eye on ActiveCaptain: Ask Jeff and forward all questions and comments to you.

Thanks for your involvement with ActiveCaptain in TrawlerCrawler.net.

--Georgs
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Georgs

Postby Georgs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Jeffrey Siegel has had a change of heart about responding to questions about ActiveCaptain and his other products in the special forum we offered to set up for fans of ActiveCaptain. Thus, I'm sorry to say, ActiveCaptain: Ask Jeff will disappear from TrawlerCrawler.net shortly.

--Georgs
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Georgs

Postby johnesch99 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:19 am

I hate to see Jeff go but I more truly hate to see him not posting on T&T. Active Captain is on of the most progressive tools out there today for both local (US only) cruisers. I hope that he will find a place to answer these LCA or MTOA lists.

John Esch
Fet-Esch
Currently lying Baltimore, MD
johnesch99

Postby ActiveCaptain » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:11 am

Hey John, I like http://www.cruisersforum.com. There are more than 10 times the number of people there (27,000) and it is well organized so you can view the things you're interested in. It also allows normal additions to postings like attachments and pictures which makes things quite nice. They gave me a "commercial" status there which allows me to answer questions, direct people to our site, and be helpful to ActiveCaptain users. They'll also provide an ActiveCaptain forum there if I'd like in the commercial section.

For example, check out this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/destin-fl-anchoring-35131.html

The moderators thanked me in a private message for putting that posting in there. And of course they would.

The amount of experience and knowledge there is huge.
Jeffrey Siegel
M/V aCappella
DeFever 53RPH
W1ACA/WDB4350
Castine, Maine

ActiveCaptain

Postby Georgs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 am

John Esch of Fet-Esch wrote:I hate to see Jeff go but I more truly hate to see him not posting on T&T. Active Captain is on of the most progressive tools out there today . . .

I am also sorry to see Jeff leave but from a comment he made to TrawerCrawler.net Admin, I suspect there is a much larger market elsewhere for his business than the trawler world.

I'll be pleased to reactivate ActiveCaptain: Ask Jeff whenever he has the time and interest to participate.

In so far as T&T List goes, Jeff unsubscribed himself a few days ago after, I suspect, finding the non-commercial nature of the List too restrictive. T&T List was founded on the premise of providing information without sales pitches and marketing messages. It practically guarantees that on the registration page. Too many subscribers appreciate the firm stance List Admin takes for me to want to mess with the mission.

I recognize that some ActiveCaptain fans will be miffed which is why ActiveCaptain: Ask Jeff at TrawlerCrawler.net seemed like a win-win solution for everyone.

--Georgs
Last edited by Georgs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Georgs

Postby ActiveCaptain » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 pm

My 12+ years on T&T weren't about market size. Heck, I was posting long before there was ActiveCaptain. In fact, I was working full time with medical devices when I started with it. T&T was about community for me. But what I've come to find is that it has lost a lot of it's zen, the moderation is behind-the-times and nasty, and the community that was once there is gone.

It's a true shame.
Jeffrey Siegel
M/V aCappella
DeFever 53RPH
W1ACA/WDB4350
Castine, Maine

ActiveCaptain

Postby Georgs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 pm

ActiveCaptain wrote:. . . the (T&T) community that was once there is gone.

I beg to differ. The spirit of community at Trawlers & Trawlering List is still very much there, even as it has grown to more than 2,100 subscribers.

It may well be, Jeff, that you, because of your business interests, have outgrown us.

Farewell!

--Georgs
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Georgs

Return to ActiveCaptain: Ask Jeff