Introduce yourself

Who's who in the TrawlerCrawler community.

Introduce yourself

Postby Georgs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:31 am

Let's build a real sense of community at TrawlerCrawler.net!

Hit the PostReply button and write a few sentences about yourself, your boating background, your boat—if you have one, or your dream boat—if you're looking.

Post a photo of your boat. Post a photo of yourself.

Let's get to know each other!

--Georgs
Georgs Kolesnikovs
Your host at TrawlerCrawler.net since 2009
Your host at TrawlersAndTrawlering.com since 1997
Georgs

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Administrator » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 am

I am retired Navy (21 years) with more than 1/2 of that at sea in destroyers. After retiring I stood for my Chief Mate License (all gross tons and all oceans) and passed it on the second time around (celestial killed me the first time). Now after teaching in the public school system for more than 13 years (Naval Junior ROTC), I am ready to go back to sea and stay in that environment. I am looking for a boat and the chance to get my sea legs before I make the huge life-change. My present home is now Edenton, NC, USA on the Albemarle Sound. I have many, many questions to ask about how I go about this "project" and what I look for. I really don't want to re-invent the wheel. Most of you sailors have the knowledge of the wheel if I can pick your brains. Thanks

Jim Ryan
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:43 am

I am a long time sailboat owner who has decided the time has come to
move to a trawler. I currently own a Catalina 380 which is berthed
in Sackets Harbor, NY on lake Ontario. I have made an agreement to
sell the 380 which I expect to close next week and I am actively
looking for a trawler in the 38 to 44 foot range.

I am hopeful that joining your group will assist me in that regard.
My wife an I plan on taking an extended cruise in 2011 through the
upper great Lakes and then down the Hudson and AICW to Florida and
the Bahamas.

I have passed my 100 ton Master exam and have completed a few
offshore passages in sailboats (Bermuda to Maine and Bermuda to
Antigua). I have very limited trawler experience (chartered a GB 36
in the San Juan Island this past summer) and I am hoping to learn
more from your group.

John Wheeler
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 am

We retired in June and are traveling South on our Diesel Duck 462, We are in Maryland right now getting paravanes and new electronics installed. We are doing the Intracoastal for the first time, deciding whether to go out in North Carolina and or Georgia. We hope to be in Maraton in December and will wait for a weather window to go the the Bahamas. After that we plan to travel as long as our health and cruising kitty holds up. We look forward to hearing about other cruisers and sharing experiences.
Jerie Milici
M/V Peking
Attachments
peking.JPG
peking.JPG (48.66 KiB) Viewed 16361 times
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:30 am

Although I grew up in a family of land lubbers, my interest in boating started as a young boy reading about the sea. I joined the US Coast Guard in 1984 for 4 years. In that time I traveled to Antarctica via the USCGC Polar Star and then 21/2 years in Boston at a Search and Rescue station. I crewed and operated 41', 32' and 17' SAR boats.
In 1989 I went to work for a water agency in Northern California that has a large reservoir and a number of hydro-electric power plants. My back ground is of the mechanical nature but part of my duties are to maintain and operate various work boats from 20' to 40' single and twins setting anchors and bouys, constructing cable safety barriers, clearing floating debris and timber etc.
I purchased my first boat in 1993, a 21' Tahiti Day cruiser. I quickly decided that this is not the boat for my family so in 1994 I puchased a 21' cabin cruiser that we used for 4 years in the Sacramento Delta and San Francisco Bay.In 1998 I purchased a 28' Express Cruiser and continued to explore the Delta and Bay areas. All this time I was scoping out and researching the next "real" boat to someday own ie; Trawlers. In 2003 an opportunity came up tp purchase a 50' houseboat on the lake I am responsible to maintain, New Bullards Bar Reservoir. With the houseboat and a 21' ski boat my wife and my two daughters and myself enjoy many days on the lake.
The houseboat is great for the family and friends but does nothing for our desire for adventure.
In 2004 I bareboat chartered a Mainship 390 in the USVI and BVI. My wife and daughters were my crew and absolutely enjoyed the experience.
Last June I bareboat chartered the 46' Defever "Hele Mai" from San Juan Yachting in Bellingham, Wa. Now we're talking!!! This was an absolutley beautiful trawler with up to date electronics and equipment. I hired a captain for a day to go over all the navigational electronics and to eliminate the anxiety I had of operating such a georgeous boat for the first time and to instruct my crew on their importance and involvment for a safe and enjoyable voyage. That was accomplished and a lot more.
Cruising in the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands requires absolute awareness and utilization of good seamanship skills.This is what draws me to this type of activity. I walked away from the San Juan trip just how I wanted. A stronger desire to someday do serious coastal cruising and maybe even blue water crossings and to have my wife enjoy it as much as I.
Joining Trawlercrawler is another resource that will excite the passion and educate me on our future trawlering plans.
By the way... thanks for asking!!!

Bill Zoellin
Administrator

Postby NewMoon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:36 am

My wife Cindy and I have been cruising since 1991, primarily on the Pacific NW coast and for shorter periods on big lakes like Lake Powell. First 7 years in our outboard C-Dory 22, and the next 12 in our Bounty 257, a 26-foot planing hull with Volvo 44 diesel and sterndrive. So far we've traveled more than 32,000 miles, in about 1,100 days on the water. Eight whole summers in the PNW, ranging from Puget Sound as far north as Skagway and Glacier Bay. Also many other trips lasting 2 to 6 weeks. We anchor in fairly to very remote coves the majority of the time.

Since we live in Utah, a trailer boat is what works for us. If we were starting over, we'd probably consider the North Pacific 28, or something along those lines. We've come to appreciate traveling slower (and quieter), thoroughly enjoying the beauty all around us. Spending most of our time at 6.5 knots, our diesel boat generally gives us 3.5 to 4 nmpg. Our little boats don't have grand lounging areas, and can't make long ocean passages, but they have made cruising (and fishing) affordable for us, and a whole lot of fun.

We've also done a few bareboat sailing charters in the Abacos, and have one scheduled for the BVI in May. Bigger boats and the warm and mild weather tend to spoil us, but we still love the Inside Passage the best. Some cruising photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bounty257/C ... askaAndBC#
Last edited by NewMoon on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
NewMoon

Postby grfdlf » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm

We are in the process of selling our large home, buying or renting a small condo, selling our 31' express boat, and buying a Great Harbour N37 trawler that we can live on during the summer and explore the Lake michigan area. We have been looking at purchase of a trawler for many years, but the housing market and economy have gotten in the way. We hope to have better luck this year. I frequent (lurk) many of the other trawler forums out there absorbing as much info as I can before we make the transition to trawler. So, once we get a little experience with that, I'll likely be posting a bit more. Thanks to all for sharing your insight!

Gene & Dee Francisco
M/V Mambo Jambo
Regal 3060
Currently in winter storage in Green Bay, WI
grfdlf

Postby capn chuck » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:08 pm

We are Chuck and Susan. We have spent the last 17 years living aboard and cruising our Mariner 40 ketch, Sea Trek. Recently we sold her and after much soul searching decided a change in lifestyle and scenery was in order so the search was on for a new boat. We knew a trawler was in our future and after doing a lot of research and looking at a lot of boats we found a very well cared for 1980 Marine Trader 34. We have named her Beach House for Susan's love of the beach and the hopes that the view from our new house will always be pleasant. Our plans are to continue our lifestyle and to change our cruising grounds a bit and visit those inland lakes and rivers we never could with our sailboat. There is lots of info on our past cruises and the new boat on both of our websites on my signature line.
Current Navigational Notices
http://www.marinalife.com/navigationUpdates/index.cfm
Cruises and Projects On Board Our Trawler.
http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/
Our Previous Sailing Adventures And A Lot More.
http://sea-trek.blogspot.com/
capn chuck

Postby Administrator » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm

I am in the process of restoring a 36 foot homebuilt trawler and I see your group as an important asset. I have been a boater for 25 years

Paul Hansen
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:01 am

I am hoping to purchase a trawler to liveaboard, in the next several years. I live in Southern Florida and would also like to cruise around Florida and the Bahamas.

Best regards,

Terry Heaps
Administrator

Next

Return to Introductions