Introduce yourself

Who's who in the TrawlerCrawler community.

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby reefrider » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:29 am

Hello ,i am a retierd Navy SeaBee ,retierd in 1990. Ive always been drawn to the ocean and boats and was introduced to scuba diving at a young age by a retierd navy frogmans son when i was living south of miami fla. in the late 50s and early 60s.He taught scuba before ya had to certified.Anyways they invited me on a weekend diven and fishn trip on there boat.I still remember them cookn lobster on the boat and sleepn on it and the slight breeze . I also got to be a witness of 8 cubans and a dog in a small rowboat that Sunday mourning that had escaped Castro .At that time the oldest man was rowing and his hands were raw.and they all were ate every ounce of food and drank all the fresh water we hadfor the weekend while waiting for the coast gaurd to come pick them up.I think this was about 1962 or so. Lord where does time go.Lolll anyways thats really how my intrest in boats and the sea got fierd up.Being in the Navy SeaBees I got stationed in many isolated type of areas always close to the ocean and some areas had some pretty nice marinas also.Always enjoyed chattn with boat folks.Ive had a few boats but just 18 footers and 20 footer.Ive been on a few 35 ft sailboats. I reed alot about trawlers and liven aboard boats and being from Texas i also read a lot about the ICW.I keep thinkn of how it would be just cruzn the ICW or Great Loop.I keep readn if ya gonna do it DO IT lolll. Heck im ready to get rid of everything and buy about a 32 or 38 ft trawler and spend the rest of my ol age that way. lolll Anyways thats a little bout me and my dream.Tnks for alowing me to come abord.Dave(reefrider)
reefrider

Postby Administrator » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 am

I was first mate on a trawler voyage from Culebra, P.R. to Long Beach, Ca U.S. back in the late nineties and have been trying to get back to trawlering for many years. The vessel was a 72' steel hull trawler built in Louisiana. Top speed of about 6 knots with a single Detroit Diesel for power. Took about 2 months stopping along the way. Amazing trip with much learned.

My family and I now live on the East Coast of the U.S. and we are trying to learn more about extended voyages and a possible purchase for trips to the Bahamas and Florida.

JD
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 am

My wife and I have been boating for over 35 year and now have a 48 krogen whaleback. We will be boating east coast Great Lakes, Bahamas and hopefully Caribbean
Ike
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:57 am

I Live in Seattle and recently purchased a Hslmsmen 38 pilot house. I hold a 1600 ton ocean masters license. I am a crab fisherman from Alaska. Now retired. Just looking forward to cruising the northwest waters. Like to read about other people's boats and adventures.

John
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 am

We have owned a number of boats, however our first trawler was a 58' Roughwater we sold this and had a 37' O'Day traded in this did not suit our boating needs or wants. Next trawler 34' mainship 14 years of great service from this vessel. Next 44' Birchwood built in South Hampton England, we have owned this vessel 10 years which brings us up to present. By the way my wife Bobbie,insisted we keep the mainship for one year, making sure we made the right decision. Our plan is to retire, Oct 1 2013 and the cruising will begin.

David & Bobbie Day
"DAY BY DAY"
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 am

I’m in the process of restoring an 80ft, 1958 Broward motor yacht. My plan is to live onboard and travel primarily the West Coast after her completion.

Rob

IMAG0551.jpg
IMAG0551.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 10071 times

Photo is of the boat when it was a dinner cruise boat in San Francisco. She doesn’t look like that now…but will again!
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 am

My wife and I own a 50’ Southern Cross. We live in British Columbia, Canada and cruise our coast at a comfortable 8.3 knots. We get away on our boat MV “Southern Sky” whenever possible, however work still gets in the way. We anticipate cruising south towards Mexico sometime in late 2014. We recently increased the size of our Naiad stabilizer fins and thought that there may be some interest from your members in our old 4.5 sq ft fins.
Cheers,
Norm and Jodi
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 am

After having three sailboats in my life my wife and I decided switch to power. We do not have any background or experience with trawlers.
Ivo
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 am

Wife and I plan to acquire trawler in couple of years when we retire to cruise extensively. We have gone to several Trawlerfests in Maryland. We currently boat in Chesapeake Bay.

Bruce
Administrator

Postby Administrator » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:23 am

Over the past couple years I’ve had the chance to take day trips on a friend’s boat as well as a couple overnight fishing trips. My wife and I love being on the water (we’re in our late 40’s) and have decided that as we approach the empty nest in the next 5-6 years, we would like to invest in a trawler (dreaming of a Nordy, but oh my, the $$!!) and eventually travel as much of the world as we can reach.

We are very much in the dreaming stages right now, so while I learn the ropes with my friend, whose boat is a coastal cruiser (a lovely 40’ sedan) I want to pal around online with those already taking the long way around.

Cheers J

Anthony
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions