Navigational Software Questions

If it's about trawler yachts, how we equip and maintain them, and what great fun we have voyaging, cruising or living aboard, post here.

Navigational Software Questions

Postby capn chuck » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:25 pm

We, like many cruisers, we are finding ourselves using navigational programs more and more on our cruises. We currently run about 8 different programs, navigation, tides and a few others. We have often thought there is a real need to find a combined program that would give us maximum information in one program. So I thought I would throw the questions out to members of the board.
1. In addition to your charts, what other information would you like to be able to access on the same screen?
2. While actively cruising outside your main home area, what information is most important to you?
3. How would you prefer to be able to access this information, computer via software, computer via internet, mobile device, all of the above.
4. What current systems now best provide that information?
I hope this isn't too much information, but for the folks out there considering development of new applications for the cruising community, this information could be invaluable, and for those of us looking for the ultimate in electronic aids it will provide us with more useful applications and less bells and whistles we might never use. Thanks to all. Chuck
Current Navigational Notices
http://www.marinalife.com/navigationUpdates/index.cfm
Cruises and Projects On Board Our Trawler.
http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/
Our Previous Sailing Adventures And A Lot More.
http://sea-trek.blogspot.com/
capn chuck

Re: Navigational Software Questions

Postby AllanY » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:38 am

I have also tried mant software programs but I have now settled on one.
In answer to the questions

1. Other information I like to access is tides and current information
2. Whist outside my home area I like information on services available eg marinas and availability of fuel and water etc
3. To access this information a cruising guide is the easiest I have found. On the internet it is too easy to miss information
4. We have a number of cruising guides covering the coast. I am currently using OpenCPN as the nav program with Cmap charts

Allan
"Nevia" 32 ft Cheoy Lee Trawler
Queensland, Australia
www.nautek.net
AllanY

Re: Navigational Software Questions

Postby rwidman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 am

I have a pair of Garmin 5208 plotters installed on my boat and Garmin's "HomePort" software on my computers. I also have the Garmin G2Vision chip for my normal cruising area.

The plotters display charts, marinas, some areal photos, tides and currents, etc. HomePort allows me to plan my trips in the comfort of my home on a large screen and then upload the routes and waypoints to the plotters. Once that's done, it's a matter of selecting a route and following the line (looking out for obstacles, changes in aids to navigation, etc.).

The combination meets my needs very well.
rwidman

Return to All Trawlers, All Trawlering, All The Time (tm)