Bottom Paint on Rudders and Props?

If it's about trawler yachts, how we equip and maintain them, and what great fun we have voyaging, cruising or living aboard, post here.

Bottom Paint on Rudders and Props?

Postby boatguy1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:47 am

So fellow Trawler Trash people, how many of you have your props and rudders bottom painted when you do a haul-out and bottom job?
Is there a positive or negative to applying anti-fouling ablative Bottom Paint to the drive train?
Ken
boatguy1

Re: Bottom Paint on Rudders and Props?

Postby capn chuck » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 am

Ken, We do have our prop and rudder painted, but the process must be correct. Our yard puts an epoxy coating on then applies the paint. It seems to work fine so far, in 800 miles we have lost a small amount of paint on the leading edges of the prop. Ablative paint is just that and will be gone on a prop and any areas in the immediate prop wash in a relatively short period of time. There are of course expensive option such as Propspeed that have been given good reviews. Chuck
Current Navigational Notices
http://www.marinalife.com/navigationUpdates/index.cfm
Cruises and Projects On Board Our Trawler.
http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/
Our Previous Sailing Adventures And A Lot More.
http://sea-trek.blogspot.com/
capn chuck

Postby rgano » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Like Chuck, I have my running gear painted. I have large bronze rudders in addition to twin bronze props, four exterior struts, and stainless (Aquamet) shafts. I have been doing this on this boat for 23 years. Be sure to rough up the metal before applying a good quality two-part barrier coat - I once had the barrier coat fail to stick when I applied it to my new shafts because they were too smooth. I like Interlux 2000 as the barrier coat, and I apply two coats. Then I apply two coats of a hard bottom paint like Trinidad SR. I usually have to redo the tips of the props at haulout time because cavitation eats the paint away there. I give the rest of the running gear surfaces a light sanding before recoating with one thin coat of Trinidad.
Rich Gano
CALYPSO (GB42 #295)
Panama City, FL
rgano

Postby ColonyCove » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:56 am

I like ablative for the hull and hard bottom paint for the metal gear. Get as many gallons of ablative as you need for the hull, and a quart of hard bottom paint for the running gear; maybe two quarts if you have twins. Start with clean running gear and a decent primer coat under your hard bottom paint. Don't paint those zincs either, nor under them when changing zincs out. I couldn't believe the prices on PropSpeed or it's competitor, HawkSpeed. It might be worth it if you have a planing hull and frequently turn 5000 rpm's or so. I seldom go over 2000 rpm's, and the method outlined here is OK for the price. Actually, even my suggestion is not "cheap" in cost and labor if you use quality hard bottom paint; which you should.
ColonyCove

Postby markpierce » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 am

Due to a barnacle build up, am having the propeller treated at the Coot's first post-construction bottom painting.

markpierce

Return to All Trawlers, All Trawlering, All The Time (tm)