Re-furbishing a Sunken Boat

If it's about trawler yachts, how we equip and maintain them, and what great fun we have voyaging, cruising or living aboard, post here.

Re-furbishing a Sunken Boat

Postby mccallr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 pm

I have been renovating my boat for the past two years, slowly replacing everything except the AC, refrigerator, and oven.

Traveling down the ICW in 10.5' of water at Palm Coast, FL., we hit something under water in the channel. Steering was disabled and loss of prop power on the port side was experienced. the boat had to be towed in. It took the tow baot 3 hrs to show up and 5 hrs to tow the boat into the closest boat works. Arriving around 2am, by 7am she had sunk in 8' of water next to the pier where she was tied up.

The boat was pulled out and dry docked by 2pm that day. Out of the water, it was discovered that the port prop and shaft had been jammed back against the port side rudder, bending the prop end of the shaft and bending the port rudder back against the botom of the boat. Otherwise, there was not a scratch on the bottom. It is believed that the water entering the boat was held of by the new rule bilges (3) in the boat until the latter part fo the towing. Then is seems that the prop shaft was moved sufficiently to allow enough water to enter the boat to over ride the bilge pumps, ultimately sinking the boat.

The engines have 500 hrs on them and the new generator has around 440 hrs (new to the boat, however, it had 200 hrs when installed.). All have been pickled.

I am looking for suggestions/ideas and sources on restoring this 1994 Carver 390. The boat will require:

1. A new Interior and furniture. (The head liners have oil markings where the water level was.)

2. Rewiring. (This includes replacing the elecrtical control box.)

3. Truing the port pro shaft and both props. (I understand a used shaft might be found or a shop could straighten out the shaft).

4. Replacing all of the electrical items on board.

5. Replacing all spare parts for the boat.

The new carpeting might be saved by steam cleaning, both outside on the decking and inside. The hull is in extremely good shape. The new deck furniture will require steam
cleaning.

My questions are has anyone done this? What sources did they use? Was it worth the effort?

The other options are:

1. Sell her at a cheap price and let someone else do the work; a good project for a do-it-yourselfer. Probably around $40,000 for a boat that was worth $130,000.

2. Part her out, selling the engines, generator, and other parts at auction.

All input appreciated.
mccallr

Re: Re-furbishing a Sunken Boat

Postby Flatsflyer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:09 am

I live in Palm Coast and was wondering what you hit and where it was? Assume you had to be towed to St. Augustine. Have friend who refurbished a sunken vessel and cost twice what he initially estimated, wehn he tried to sell it most buyer baulked. He disclosed everthing to potential buyers to reduce the exposure to liabilities from the buyer. Eventually sold the boat but I think he was underwater on the sale.
Flatsflyer

Postby mccallr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:29 pm

The hit occurred at R20 just to the right of center in the channel, right at the first entrance to Palm Coast, I believe. Since the obstruction was under water and in 10.5 of water with no danger signs, I don't have any idea what it was. However, it was hard enough to shove the prop and shaft all the way back against the rudder bending both the shaft and rudder. The boat was doing 8 knots at the time.

It was towed to Daytona Boat Works, being the only boat works I could find in the area. At the time, I had no idea it would sink!!! That's the way events turned out though!
mccallr

Postby mccallr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:42 pm

I am retired and disabled so I would have to have someone else do the work for me, which would jack up the price considerably. Still, I am trying to get estimates for her repair.
She has been an excellent cruiser for the AGLCA.

The only concerns one should have about a sunken boat is whether or no it suffered irreparable damages to the hull. In this case the hull has not been effected at all and the rest can be replaced immediately or slowly.

It would make someone a very good project boat!! For that reason, I hate to salvage her out. If I were able to do the work myself, I would take it on in a heart beat!!

Let's see how the estimates turn out.
mccallr

Return to All Trawlers, All Trawlering, All The Time (tm)