Yanmar Diesels

If it's about trawler yachts, how we equip and maintain them, and what great fun we have voyaging, cruising or living aboard, post here.

Yanmar Diesels

Postby Jerry rogers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:37 pm

The bride and I are searching for our future "looper" boat. While we have done much research and narrowed our search to a 40 foot trawler or powercat, I am concerned about what I have read about Yanmar engines. It seems this brand of powerplant is ubiquitous in sail cats, power cats and Mainship trawlers. An exceedingly knowledgable captain I gleen info from is less than complimentary of these engines. In 2010 David Pascoe, second generation Marine Surveyor wrote of aluminum cooling system compenent failures in engines that used dissimiliar metals (brass and aluminum). The boats we are entertaining are significantly newer than that. My question for those of you familiar with these issues is: Are Yanmars or any other marine producer still producing engines with these dissimiliar metals? I am certainly concerned with longevity and of course the only time anything breaks is when the warranty expires!
Many thanks and Merry Christmas!
Jerry Rogers
Jerry rogers

Re: Yanmar Diesels

Postby chiropaul23 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:07 am

Would strongly suggest you check out boatdiesel.com for up to date info on these and any other diesel brand you are interested in.
chiropaul23

Return to All Trawlers, All Trawlering, All The Time (tm)